Thursday, 2 January 2014

New Year Resolutions.

It has come that time once again where the world starts over..

The beginning of a new year sparks the beginning of 'new' New Year Resolutions. Resolutions can be big things, small things, heartwarming things, shallow things but no matter what they are, we all say they will be achieved, but are they always? No, but it's better to try and fail then to not try at all, right?

Some of the resolutions that have appeared on my list over the years include things like losing weight, getting a job, doing well in school, and all these things are fine, there's nothing wrong with them but they're lame, they're the easy resolutions, the ones where you don't have to think to hard or deeply within yourself.

I must admit losing weight, finding a good job, doing well in University are all on my list again for this year, but I've added some more, some that will challenge me, some that will hopefully make me a better person and help me become the person I've wanted to be but didn't know how.

My New Year Resolutions for 2014:

1. Let things GO! - I have a horrible tendency to let things bother me way more than they should. Mainly when it comes to my little brother.. who is turning 16 this year so I guess he's not so little anymore. My sister and I are very similar in the way we think and act so I automatically assume that's how my brother will think and act but we are polar opposites and sometimes I lose sight of that and pester him until he gets cranky and then everyone's day is ruined.

So this year, I am going to let these things go. I'm going to let my brother do what he wants and how he wants to and try and stop telling him what is 'right'. He has his own life and his own way of thinking and I need to accept that and love him for who he is.

2. Get OUT of my shell! - I am the most socially awkward person ever. I get anxious when I have to speak to people I don't really know or aren't close with and the thought of having to go to University this year without knowing anyone freaks me out! I hate this about myself and I always have. I find it hard to begin conversations and keep them going. I never know what to say or talk about and it's the one thing I would change about myself in an instant.

I want to push myself this year. I want to crawl out of my shell and become a more confident person! I want to be able to talk to someone one on one and not feel like the weight of the world is on my shoulders. This starts tonight. I'm going to a concert in Sydney with a girl I've known since Primary School, it's just the two of us going and she's driving us. I know once we're there listening to the music it's going to be an amazing night, but I'm so nervous about the drive there and home because I don't want it to be awkward. I hate awkward conversations that die and turn into awkward silences and that will most likely happen tonight.

3. Say YES! - I am a hermit. I would rather stay home and sit on the couch and watch TV then go out with my friends. Well actually that's a lie. I'd rather be out creating memories with my friends but every time they ask me to do something, I always find an excuse as to why I can't go and all I do is stay home! I don't have many friends, not the kind of friends that stick around through thick and thin and I don't want to lose them because I can't say yes.

4. Shed those KILOS! - In 2013 I took my 'gap' year and went to the UK for 6 months and I also put on 8 kilos. I'm the heaviest weight I've ever been and I feel un fit, un healthy and un happy. I've joined my local gym and my aim for the year is to drop 10kg and become a happier and healthier version of me. I've always struggled with my weight, I've always been the chubby friend, the one without the bikini body and it was hard to go through High School not confident in my own skin. I'm never going to have a perfect body like you see in magazines, but I want my perfect body. The body where I feel confidence enough to wear a two piece bikini at the beach and not think twice about how I look.

5. Do WELL at Uni! - Towards the end of Year 12 I slacked off a little because I had no intention of going to Uni so my final marks didn't matter. I thought there was no point in putting myself through so much stress to get the best marks that I didn't study as hard or do as well as I could have if I pushed myself. This year it's going to be different. In a couple of weeks I will hopefully receive my acceptance letter from the University of Newcastle saying that in March I'll be beginning the first of a four year double degree in Primary School Teaching and Arts. I want to push myself. I want to be top of my classes. I want to be the smartest kid in the room. I want to be one of the first people to get hired once my degree is complete! Plus, if I do crap I'll feel crap so fingers crossed for doing well!

So what are your New Year Resolutions?!

It doesn't matter how big or small they are, as long as you try your damn hardest to make them a reality. New Year Resolutions are things you want to accomplish within the year so go out and accomplish them! Make a better life for yourself, for your family and friends.

Make 2014 yours!

And let's make 2014 the best year yet!


Becky xx

No comments:

Post a Comment