Sunday, 14 April 2013

History Geek!

Oh my goodness I am a terrible human being! I feel like a failure for not blogging for several weeks, for that I sincerely apologise!

So hello my loves, how have you been?

The past few weeks I have been dashing around the North of England seeing things that blow my mind, eating food that is so delicious I can't stop and meeting people that are so lovely they're making it extremely difficult to come to terms with the fact that I don't actually live here and that I'm leaving in 5 months!

On the 28th March I went to Ripley Castle in Harrogate which is in North Yorkshire. It was absolutely amazing and is a great place to go to have a nice day out with family and friends! Ripley Castle is a 14th Century house 5km (3 miles) from Harrogate in North Yorkshire. It's history links to English kings and historical persons like Oliver Cromwell. The castle is still owned today by the direct descendants of the Ingleby's who were the first owners. It has beautiful grounds that make you feel like you've been transported to the 1700s!

On the 30th March I went to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park and had a lovely time! It was a little muddy in areas because of melting snow so if going during or just after wet weather I recommend wearing shoes you don't mind getting muddy! There were lots of interesting sculptures and art works and it is a great place to visit if you're an art enthusiast!

On the 31st March I went to Meanwood Park and had a traditional British BBQ. Now you English folk need to learn what a BBQ is.. this little tin foil tray with coals on the bottom is not a BBQ! However it was nice to sit in the park while it was cooking instead of bringing everything pre cooked like we have to do in Australia! I went for a stroll through the park and had a lovely time with my aunt and her friends!

On the 2nd April I travelled to York and visited York Minster! It was absolutely breathtaking. I'm not extremely religious and I had an amazing time. I just love York all together. Walking down the streets in York it just feels like you're walking down those same streets but hundreds of years previously! It was perfect! The Minster was just so calming and peaceful and my favourite parts were all the stain glass windows! They were massive and extremely detailed and so colourful! Definitely a must see place regardless of your personal religious beliefs!

On the 9th April I went for a drive further North to see some remaining sections of Hadrian's Wall! Construction began in AD 122 and took 6 years! I sound like a massive history dork but seriously to be able to touch and walk on top of a simple stone wall that was built over 1800 years ago it just sends chills up my spine! History is such an amazing thing and or remains to survive all these years, we are extremely lucky to be able to experience these things! Needless to say I had a great day and would love to go back when it's a bit warmer and enjoy it all over again!

Yesterday, the 13th April I took a dive into some mythology and hung out with Robin Hood in Sherwood Forest in Nottinghamshire! It was such a beautiful and peaceful place and I'm planning on going back during Summer to see all the trees in bloom! The Major Oak is a rumoured meeting for Robin Hood and his Merry Men! It is 1150 years old and needs structural support because the tree branches are that huge and heavy! It was an incredible day and I can't wait to go back!

This week I'm visiting family in the Lakes District and am sure I'll have an amazing time! I cannot wait to see my relatives and spend some time with them! Plus I'll be seeing more of this beautiful country which you can't argue with!

I hope you have a lovely day!

Becky xx













2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful adventure! Your story about the BBQ made me laugh :)

    - Nani

    lovelyladybugbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! Thank you :)

      Have a lovely day :)

      Becky xx

      Delete